Monday 22 June 2015

Mary Poppins - 7 / 10

SupercalifragiSHUSH! 




Yeah, safe to say, this film annoyed me a lot at times. But, despite that, it was pretty fun. 

And it's another film treasured by many that I hadn't watched and didn't really have any urge to watch. 

Did I expect much? Nope. 

Did Mary Poppins amaze me? Nope. 

Julie Andrews absolutely makes this film though. Because, although I can't say I'm a huge fan of the movie, I am a huge fan of Mary Poppins. 

I'm not sure what I was expecting. An overly happy, chirpy nanny that was going to teach the children how to have fun and enjoy themselves ... that's not entirely what we found though. Which brings us neatly onto our first point ...

1. 
Mary Poppins. 

Her introduction happens as she magically blows away all of the competing nannies. Clearly, she rules with an iron fist. I like her already. 

And then! She tells us she is practically perfect in every way! What a gal! She reminds me a little of myself! 

And in fact, the entire way through the film she has the absolute best scowl when people are doing something silly, or she disapproves. She nails the 'superior' look. 



Yeah, I'm a big fan of Mary Poppins. 

2. 
Disney is always about morals. 

And here, we have three key messages shining through, some more forced than others ...

     -   The suffragettes were pretty annoying. But women do deserve more rights! 
     -   Chimney sweeps are a vital part of society, if only for their ability to sing and dance. 
     -   Fox hunting is bad! 


It's this final point that is worth noting for other reasons - mainly the films ability to inspire the very rational response of What the hell am I watching?!?!?!

3. 
Disney is weird! 

So, apart from the weird scene when the disappear into a chalk painting and help save a cheeky little fox from being torn apart .... 

But we also have the birds! Oh God, the birds. Obviously, these were days before computer generated images, so I can only assume based upon this film that the old technique was to find a bird, kill the bird, stuff the bird and then use it as a puppet. Oh my. 




And then we have the frankly bizarre laughing scene

You may remember it, they go to a house, and when people laugh the float into the air. 

What?!? But why?? What does this have to do with anything?!?!?

We may never know. 

Is it supposed to be a cautionary tale? Laughing gas is bad? Drugs are bad? 

Happiness is bad? 

Mary Poppins is my favourite! 




4. 
I do like that the older man, who works in the finance sector, had the attractive and significantly younger wife. 




Aaaaah, those were the days! 

5. 
Britain!

I like Britain, we are sophisticated. We have tea. We have proper bacon. We have football where they use their feet. 

We have the accent. 

And yet ... Britain in this movie is ... odd. 

Apparently we all know how to fly kites! What? Kites are impossible to fly! 

And there is a house shaped like a boat. It has a cannon on it. People are fine with this. Our chimney sweeps can dance, and sing. And also moonlight as one-man bands, and chalk artists. 

Is that how Americans thought of us?

Is that how they still think of us??

Is that how we really are???? Where is my cannon??? I want a cannon on my house!!!!



Yep, Mary Poppins get us thinking of the important issues. 

And so, we come to final thoughts. for much of the movie, I was thinking to myself that it cannot end soon enough. Until MP was on screen, then I was gazing into her stern yet loving face. 

And so, a 7 out of 10 is appropriate. 

(Gem wanted me to ensure everyone knew that she gave the film 9 out of 10. Perhaps showing she has lower standards than me, as if marrying me didn't prove that already!) 


"Just a moment, Mary Poppins. What is the meaning of this outrage?"




No comments:

Post a Comment